I like to write and I like to cook. I am not a chef and I have no formal culinary training. This is not intended as an instructional cooking blog. It's just an account of my personal experiences with my health recovery, weight loss, and food.

Thursday, August 26, 2010

8. Avo Olive Nori

II went to the cardiologist this past Monday.  You may already know that I suffered from heart failure a few years ago. I also have high blood pressure and an enlarged heart.  So my GP thought it a good idea to see a cardiologist to see how my heart is doing.  The cardiologist was very impressed with the recent improvements in things medically with me and he's started some tests to have a look at things for himself.  He had some blood drawn and an EKG done.  Next Thursday I'm supposed to go in for a stress test and eventually they want to do an ultrasound to look at my heart.  

However, the really good news is, they weighed me and I lost another ten pounds.  That makes for a total of eighteen pounds in just about two months.  So, I'm pretty happy about that and I hope to keep losing more weight.  For my height and frame I still have about two hundred pounds to go.  

Avo Olive Nori
Ingredients
Here are the ingredients I used for the dish.

1 large ripe avocado
1 small tomato
3/4 cup pitted olives
1 teaspoon soy sauce
1 tablespoon lemon juice
bean sprouts
nori sheets


Split avocado witha knife and discard the seed.  Spoon the flesh from the peel, cut it into small pieces, and place it in a large bowl.  You'll want room for mixing.  Pour the lemon juice over the avocados to prevent oxidizing. 
Dice the tomatoes and olives and place them in the bowl with the avocado.  Then add the soy sauce and stir for about ten seconds or so.
 Place a nori sheet onto a clean, dry cutting board. Nori is the same seaweed sheets they use to roll sushi.  You should be able to find this stuff any where sushi fixin's are sold.  This can be rolled with a bamboo sushi rolling mat, but I did it just fine with my bare hands.  Besides, I don't have one of those mats so I didn't have a choice.
Here is the avocado olive mixture.
Take a cup of the mixture and place a half cup of it onto the nori sheet and spread it to the sidest.  Leave about an inch at the top and bottom.  See photo.
 
Place a handful of beansprouts on top of the mixture.  The original recipe that I took this from called for sunflower sprouts.  I changed it to bean sprouts because I think the only way you can get sunflower sprouts is to grow them yourself and most people won't do that.  So I figure bean sprouts should be fine because, even if I am wrong and some store out there carries the sunflower sprouts,  the bean sprouts are easier to find, even if you have to buy them in a can!
It rolled quite well when I spread the mixture like this.



Now roll it very carefully because the nori can tear easily.  The mixture is about enough to make three or four rolls depending on how you spread it.

At this point it looks like a big green cigar.
Slice the roll into about five to six pieces.  When cutting into the roll gently saw into it.  Cutting down hard into the roll as if it were a salami or something, will pinch the roll and just be a mess. 

Place the rolls on a plate and enjoy.

It looks like sushi, but there is not rice, so it's not.

My inspirational hero of the day is Dr. Michio Kaku, a theoretical physicist, cosmologist, and futurist.  He is a popularizer of science as well as an advocate for the ethical use of science.  I first heard of him as a guest on the wildly woo-woo late night radio show, Coast to Coast with Art Bell.  He was quite a breath of fresh air among the usual line up of charlatans and pseudo-scientists on the show.  Although he works on the fringes of science and ponders some things that may be far out, he bases everything in solid real science.  I admire his persistence in popularizing science to make it more understandable and accessible to the layperson in a time when we surprisingly need him and others like him to combat the harm pseudo-science and superstition can do.

















































3 comments:

  1. wow, cool recipe. I've never had anything like this and happily it looks low carb! Great job on losing more weight. I wish I could lose 18 lbs in two months although if I did there would probably be something wrong with me. lol

    ReplyDelete
  2. It looks spectacular! Did it taste as amazing as it looks? Avocado is like it's own food group on my pyramid - I could eat it alone for the rest of my life and never tire of it! I will definitely have to give this a try.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the comments. Yes, Jennifer, it was quite tasty. I'm a big fan of avocado too, which is a good source of omega 3 and other good stuff.

    ReplyDelete