I like to write and I like to cook. I am not a chef and I have no formal culinary training. This is not intended as an instructional cooking blog. It's just an account of my personal experiences with my health recovery, weight loss, and food.

Monday, August 16, 2010

4. Herbed Quinoa

If you haven't already figured it out, and if you choose to keep reading this blog, you'll figure out I'm quite opinionated.  I have some very strong views on many things.  Even things relevant to this blog.  I decided to make this blog very personal and part of that will include my personal views on certain things.  However, I also like readers.  So, I don't want to chase them off.  Yet, I think trying to please everyone is the kind of second guessing that's turned me off of some things I have strong opinions about. One thing I try to remember when breaching the topic of things I feel strongly about is what Bad Astronomer, Phil Plaitt, said, "Nobody in the history of humankind has ever changed their mind about something they have wrapped up in their self identity, because they were screamed at by someone."  I won't pretend to have an opinion I don't agree with, but I'll try to be nice about the ones I do.

Personally, I can disagree someone and still be their friend.  In fact, if I chose to not associate with those with opinions I disagree with I wouldn't have any friends at all.  Some of my friends I am almost completely opposite to in matters of politics and/or religion.  I have the utmost respect for those I can debate with and still remain friends.  Don't get me wrong though, I still enjoy and need to spend time among like minded folks too.  For those whom I have certain disagreements, I don't have a problem with them thinking I'm wrong, because I think they're wrong too.  We almost have to if we truly are who we say we are.  In other words, I can agree to disagree.  However, I would be a liar if I didn't admit I do have my limits, I'm not going to be friends with Nazis, KKK members, or similar people.  I don't want to open my mind so far that my brain falls out.

I'm sure I'll come up with something that some or most, hopefully not all, of you will disagree.  I hope I won't lose too many readers as a result but if ya gotta go I won't beg for your return.  However, if you rationally discuss the issue with me I may even change my mind. I have a bad habit of admitting that I can be wrong sometimes.  What's worse is, contrary to the way most behave, I don't think admitting error shows weakness, mostly it's a sign of strength to me.  So feel free to express your opinions to me.  I just hope you can express the same demeanor I choose to communicate my opinion to you.

Herbed Quinoa

I only recently heard of quinoa (pronounced keen-wah), but it got a big endorsement from Men's Health Magazine for being a seed that is grain-like but has more protein than wheat or rice.  So I thought I'd try the simple recipe they gave for preparing it, Herbed Quinoa.

Ingredients

1 cup quinoa
2 Tablespoons olive oil
2 cloves garlic, chopped
2 shallots, chopped
1/4 cup lemon juice
1/2 cup chives
1/2 cup basil

Quinoa

Add 1 cup of quinoa to 2 cups of boiling water.  Reduce heat to simmer and cover for 10-15 minutes when the seeds turn translucent and it's absorbed all the water. 
I got a box of this stuff at Trader Joe's but Whole Foods has it in bulk and I think it's cheaper that way.
  When this stuff was cooking it had a peculiar burning leaves smell.  I kept checking it and stirring it to ensure it wasn't burning and it was fine.  Don't worry, it doesn't taste like the smell.  When I cooked it I took it all the way to fifteen minutes without burning it.  I let it set for another ten minutes or so to let it absorb more moisture.

Saute 
In a separate frying pan heat 2 tablespoons of pure olive oil.  Don't use extra virgin, it scorches too easily.  I hated cooking with olive oil before I learned that pure olive oil cooks better.  Save your extra virgin olive oil for salads and other things.  Then saute garlic and shallots with the lemon juice.  

The Finish

When the garlic starts to turn brown add the basil and chives.  The original called for fresh but I used the dry stuff that I bought in the spice department at Kroger and it worked fine.  Then mix this in with the saute for a minute or two.  When I first made this, I thought there would be too much basil and chives, but it seemed less so when I added the quinoa and cooked it for another two minutes.  Then it's ready to serve!

Admittedly I had my doubts cooking this recipe, but it turns out quite lively and tasty!


I'm a big fan of science, especially astronomy, and Phil Plait is one of my heroes for being an awesome astronomer and a brilliant representative of the scientific skepticism community.  
   

   

7 comments:

  1. I've heard great things about quinoa and just haven't gotten around to experimenting with it yet. This looks delicious.

    Thanks for the wonderful recipe Mark :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just got a big ol' bag of quinoa the other day at costco. Sadly, it will stay in hinding for a few weeks until I can have some grains again.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have tried quinoa several times and not liked it. I am certain that I am doing it wrong, because people are ALWAYS singing it's praises. I'll try it again...

    (gettin' ready to put together Tabouleh and kabobs for T's b-day tonight...)

    ReplyDelete
  4. So, if you had to describe the flavor in a context that one who's never had it would understand, what would you say it tastes like?

    ReplyDelete
  5. @Mommakin--Well, the recipe in question tastes more like chives and basil than quinoa. I found the quinoa to have a very mild flavor. The shallots add a really nice touch to with their sweet onion flavor coming out when you bite into them. I hope T enjoys his birthday meal it sounds pretty good.

    @Damon--I found the taste of plain quinoa quite mild but a little stronger than white rice or couscous, but better than brown rice. Like a milder and tastier brown rice flavor.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Never had quinoa......never even heard of it before! Would you eat it alone or as a side dish? This may be something we may have to make for a pot luck or when we have friends over so the adventure can be shared. Again Mark I am surprised that you haven't done more "Main Stream" writing because you are engaging & intimate in your style. This appeals to many of us readers on many levels because it's like having a conversation instead of being talked at. The only thing better is LIVE in person Mark, which I greatly miss. THANKS! Luv Ya Plaid! PEACE!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Aw shucks, thanks Connie, As far as the quinoa goes, I've used it as a side with tabouli and the lentils recipe that I will be posting soon. Let me know if you have a potluck. I'd really like to hear about that.

    ReplyDelete